Places of Interest


Places of Interest



Community Museum:  A collection of artifacts reflecting the history of Harrismith.


Crafts:  Distinctive southern African curios and arty things are available at Marqwahouse.


Debora Retief Garden:  A 250 million-year-old, 33m fossilized tree lies in this garden next to the town hall.


Drakensberg Pumped Storage Scheme:  Guided tours through this engineering miracle, call 036 4386046


Golf courses :  The 18 hole course is the third oldest in South Africa. The Pub and Grill restaurant in the club house is open for lunch.


Harrismith Wildflower Gardens :  Founded in 1967 as a botanical garden these contain about 20% of the Drakensberg region's flora.


Highlands Horse trails:  2 to 3 day guided horseback adventures, call 058 6231397.


Kerkenberg :  The Voortrekkers camped in the area, whilst their leader, Piet Retief, negotiated with the Zulu leader Dingane. After receiving reports of what the Voortrekkers interpreted as successful negotiations Retief's daughter wrote his name, and the date, which was also his birthday, on the rock where they held a church service.


Museum:  A small community museum in the Market Hall at the back of the Town Hall.

Platberg :  The 2 394m 'flat mountain' is Harrismith's landmark. A famous race, claimed by some to be the toughest in South Africa.


President Brand Park :  A picnic area along the tranquil banks of the Wilge River.


Sterkfontein Dam :  The third largest dam in South Africa, and unusual as practically all the water is pumped up the escarpment from KwaZulu-Natal. Built before the Lesotho Highlands water scheme was developed, this was a vital source of water for Gauteng.


The extended nature conservation area around the dam of Sterkfontein is characterised by rugged mountains, endless expanse and a lot of water.  Besides long walks and hikes, it offers watersport and fishing facilities in the dam.


Swinburne:  Now looking insignificant compared to larger brothers, the second oldest bridge in the Free State, a National Monument, spans the Wilge River. At the official opening in 1884 it was claimed that, as it was the furthest of its kind towards the interior, it marked a distinct advance of the forces of civilization.


Town Hall :  A graceful sandstone and brick building built in 1907, and a National Monument.


Township Tours :  Self drive day tours or overnight stays enable visitors to experience what was described in the dark days of the early 1990s as a township which was a haven of peace.


Van Reenen Llandaff Oratory :  National Monument which seats eight people, and was built in honour of Llandaff Matthew who tragically lost his life in an act of bravery in a coal mining disaster.


Dining out


Teak Table - 058 623 0255 

Spur Steak Ranch - 058 623 1347  

KFC - 058 623 2405

Wimpy - 058 623 0255

Nandos - 058 623 0255



Web design and Hosting by Sulaco New Media built using FastSite CMS